BJD · diorama · DIY · dollhouse · dolls · hobby

Project #5: Flooring

As you can see flooring won out on the project this week.  You know when you’ve looked at images and read things 20 times and everything starts to blur so you go back and read it 10 more times.  That was me this week trying to figure out how to tackle this project, and not spend a lot of money.  I happened upon the Little Victorian blog, and while it’s been at least a year since the creator of the blog posted anything the information on how she created wood flooring for her doll house is really useful.  She got sample flooring from Home Depot that was free, and I thought humm…ok… free, that works, but at my Home Depot nothing is free, they sold single tiles.  So off to Home Depot again (cause I live in that store) to look for this flooring.  I wanted this grey floor tile but of course, it was out of stock, so I peeped another one, but I didn’t like that either, and they also only had two tiles left of that style.  I know I need at least 8 tiles for my little job and one just in case I mess up, so I was so disappointed when I couldn’t find what I really wanted.  So while digging through some really dusty shelves all of which were the wrong color I happened on the exact same one featured on the Little Victorian blog and at .69 cents ea…., well I just could beat that.  I spent a total of $6.00 dollars which didn’t break the bank so I was happy.

Now begins the hard fun part where I cut these down to size to mimic wood planks.  This process is going to take me at least two weekends.  There is just no way I can get it done in one, because…well, you know, I have real-life things to do.  So this weekends project I will cut them down and lay out the in a pattern that I think will work.  (UPDATE:: I just got too excited so I’ve started to stick them down on the upper level.

Here is what I used…

materials_used

++++++++

sample1

++++++++

sample2

++++++++

sample4

++++++++

dsc_6159

I still have to make some additional cuts to even out the planks + so they fit together tightly

sample5

This is where I’ve left off this weekend + I will finish a bit more + and hopefully wrap this project up next weekend.

++++++++

Thanks so much for visiting my blog  + and come back next Sunday to see the finished flooring project.

EQUIPMENT USED:
+ Nikon D90
+ Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G
+ Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
+ Aputure Amaran Halo AHL-H100 LED Ring Flash Light

PROGRAMS & SOFTWARE
+ Adobe Lightroom
+ Adobe Photoshop

OTHER SOURCES
+ Home Depot
+ Little Victorian Blog

Advertisements

One thought on “Project #5: Flooring

  1. UPDATE::I’ve broken my scissors try to cut this board + and my box cutter has seen better days + I’m going to try to use a really old paper cutter + crossing my fingers and hoping that will work.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s